A few years ago Honey and I read the David Ramsay book, Total Money Makeover. Let me correct that. . . A few years ago Honey read the whole book and I read the first half. The point is that the half I read was filled with stories of families who went to extreme measures to rid themselves of astounding amounts of debt. I was floored at the numbers and so critical of these people’s decisions to work unbelievable hours to accomplish their goals. I remember this one plumber specifically who was working a full day and then an additional job through the night. When did he see his family?? How did his marriage survive??
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others,you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Matthew 7:1-2
It’s no secret that 2008 has been a banner financial year for the Kicks! KB’s hospital stay, Little’s EEG, Bubba’s emergency room visit, KB’s 7 ear infections and tubes, and on and on. (It’s almost comical when you read it in a list like that) Top it off with a MAJOR car repair a couple weeks ago and we are looking at life through the eyes of that plumber! (a much smaller version of that plumber)
So we prayed and I gotta tell you – it was crazy how quickly we came to a decision and agreed it was the best thing. It is amazing how “on board” my heart is with it all. I am actually excited about the next 90 days because, while they are going to be CRAZY (like I mentioned earlier) I am confident we’ll be right in the center of His will. Where else would we ever want to be?
I’ve been hired for 90 days to help with the seasonal rush and they’ll re-evaluate at that time to see if they want to keep me. We will evaluate, at that time, if I need to be kept. We’ve worked it out where I can go in and work three evenings a week and 1/2 of Saturday – sounds like a lot,eh? Well, you can pray for us this way:
- Pray that the Lord would be glorified in this decision.
- Pray that Honey’s time with the kids and then alone in the evenings would be a treasure and refueling.
- Pray that Honey and I would plan well and invest the time we will have together in each other. Time management is going to be important if we are going to stay connected. Pray that we stay connected.
- Pray that my life would be a light at Wal-mart and I would have an opportunity to show His love to those around me. This is the Wal-mart 1.75 miles from my house – we are talking the people of my community in my life folks. What an opportunity!
- Pray that I would learn quickly – I am not as young as I was when I worked at the Destin Wal-mart in college (that was the summer of 1991! OH MY WORD!)
And if you come to the T&C Wal-mart – choose another line but make sure to wave! You’ll make me nervous but I would love to say hi! (and ask what you are doing out that late?)